Monday, August 23, 2004

A Wounded Maya and Butterflies in Ayala

Have you ever seen butterflies in such an ultra-modern place as Ayala? This morning, as I was doing lakad-takbo, which is how I normally walk, on my way to work, I saw a refreshing sight --butterflies! As I waited for the go signal so I can cross Ayala, these butterflies came fluttering towards me. It was very exciting! I half-closed my eyes because I remembered when I was a kid, my playmates used to say that butterfly wings can blind you. I would have avoided them but being in the presence of butterflies is just an experience I wouldn't want to miss.

I arrived at the office and there was this Maya bird that accidentally flew inside the lobby. She was probably wounded as she was trying to fly but all she could accomplish was a mere jump. I scooped her up and carried her off to the garden. And when I opened my hand to release her, she wouldn't jump off. The poor bird was sitting comfortably in the warmth of my hand. As we were still in the garden, memories of my childhood flashbacked, and I remembered those days when I was so fond of animals, and animals were so fond of me. I guess I still have it, that character in me that makes animals friendly.

I hope it works the same on people :-)



No comments: